Tuesday 5 March 2013

Sandra's Post

During my first week in South Africa I visited a number of projects supported by the Jabulani project. The first place I visited was a creche in Umlazi, the township where a number of the projects are based. There were approximately forty children being cared for by 2 members of staff, the children aged from babies to around age five/six where keen to be cuddled and to connect, this was a very touchy experience. The patients and competence of the cares impressed me, as did the work of the Jabulani Warriors.
I also visited Boystown, a center for boys who have fallen foul of the law. They were working out in the outdoor gym in one of the many Durban parks. They were extremely well-behaved and polite boys who seemed to enjoy their interaction with the Jabulani Volunteers.
Far more challenging was the work being done at S.I.S.C.O, a charity which goes out onto the streets and offers sleeping quarters to street children under the age of 18. Some of the children on the streets are incredibly young. All have heart-wrenching stories to tell and I found this overwhelming and and heartbreaking. The volunteers at S.I.S.C.O do an excellent job in very difficult conditions. This work is not for the faint-hearted.
The main thrust of my experience has been in the schools. I have been startled by the size of classes (up to 73 in one class) especially in relation to classrooms which in the main have been small.  I have been teaching these numbers out on the sports fields where heat and humidity take its toll. What has impressed me is the wonderful welcome from both staff and pupils, who smile warmly and thank generously. Pupils are always polite and respectful and willing to have a go at anything. They look so smart in their immaculate school uniform. How do the look so  good with no running water in their homes? Their pride in their appearance is heart warming.
  

No comments:

Post a Comment